CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (Hy-Vee) - What Does it Mean to be Lean? Lean beef is actually a government regulated term. It means that a 3-ounce serving of cooked beef has less than 10 grams of total fat and 4.5 grams or less of saturated fat.
Knowing which cuts of steak are lean can help you reduce the amount of saturated fat in your diet. Eating too much saturated fat can increase your blood cholesterol as well as your risk for heart disease and stroke.
Lean choices include sirloin, strip steak, flank steak and tenderloin. For reference, a 4-ounce serving of strip steak contains about 150 calories and just 2 grams of saturated fat.
If it's protein you're after, keep in mind that a 3-ounce serving of beef (about the size of a deck of cards) provides a generous 25 grams of protein, along with a dose of zinc, iron and B vitamins.
Healthy Cooking Tips
Marinating lean steak can help tenderize the beef. Try making your own marinade using olive oil, vinegar, salt-free seasoning blends, citrus, citrus zest and fresh herbs.
Try to make your meal as heart-healthy as possible by including a variety of vegetables and whole grains. Thinly cut strips of steak can be used for quick stir-fries, fajitas, salads or whole grain steak sandwiches.
Steak can be part of a balanced diet by choosing lean cuts and keeping portions in check.
Turn a favorite appetizer into dinner by adding thin strips of New York strip steak.
All you need:
• 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
• 2 tbsp. Hy-Vee Short Cuts chopped white onions
• 1 clove garlic, minced (or ½ tsp. minced garlic)
• 10 fresh mozzarella pearls, coarsely chopped
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 2 (8-oz each) New York strip steaks
• ¼ tsp. salt
• ⅛ tsp. black pepper
• 2 tbsp. thinly slice fresh basil
• Gustare Vita balsamic glaze, for serving
All you do:
1. Preheat broiler to HIGH.
2. In a small bowl, mix together tomatoes, onions, garlic and fresh mozzarella; set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Sear steak 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until deep golden brown. Remove from heat and top steaks with tomato mixture.
4. Broil steak 3 to 4 minutes until cheese is slightly melted and internal temperature of steak reaches 130 degrees for medium-rare or 145 degrees for medium. Remove from oven and allow to rest at room temperature for at least 5 minutes before serving. Top each steak with 1 tablespoon basil and drizzle with balsamic glaze, if desired.
Nutrition facts per serving: 250 calories, 17g fat, 6g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 480mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 1g sugar, 23g protein.
• 1 lb. flank steak, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
• 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced into thin strips
• 1 green or yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced into thin strips
• 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced into thin strips
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tbsp. lime juice
• ½ tsp. chili powder
• 1 tsp. ground cumin
• Pinch cayenne pepper
• 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
• 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
• 2 cloves garlic minced (or 1 tsp. minced garlic)
• 6-8 tortillas warmed
• Sour cream
All you do:
Place the steak into a sealable bag. Place the peppers and onion into a separate sealable bag. Add the olive oil, lime juice, chili powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, and garlic to a jar with a screw top or tight fitting lid. Shake until well combined. Pour 1/3 of the marinade over steak, 1/3 of marinade over vegetables and reserve the remaining marinade in the jar for using when cooking the steak fajitas. Seal the bags tightly and refrigerate for one hour to overnight.
When ready to cook, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour the vegetables into the skillet and cook until just tender crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the skillet to a plate and add steak strips to the same skillet. When the steak is cooked throughout (about 7-10 minutes), add vegetables back to the skillet along with the reserved marinade.
Serve with warm tortillas and desired optional garnishes.
Nutrition facts per serving: 380 calories, 16g fat, 4g saturated fat, 90mg cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 3g sugar, 35g protein.