KCRG-TV9, the top rated station in Eastern Iowa (market 87), is seeking a motivated News Reporter/Multi-Media Journalist. This position should be aggressive in Journalism - seeking out the truth, holding public officials accountable and presenting that information in a clear and captivating way on TV and digital platforms.
We have all the toys for great storytelling: a monitor array in-studio, touchscreen, 6 live units and strong photographers. We encourage reporters to take time to find and share in-depth stories that make a difference for the community, not just day-turn stories.
The successful candidate will have strong story-telling skills, great people skills and can find original news stories (not press-releases or copying the newspaper).
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Generate and research news and information in the most accurate, appealing, timely and creative way
• Engage with viewers and sources through social media channels
• Write and post website original content prior to the airing of the television version
• Shoot and edit compelling video and sound
• Develop and maintain sources
• Participate in story selection and play an active role in the editorial process
• Attend/host/speak at community service, schools and community events; meet and greet viewers
• Various shift work will be required; some holiday work is required
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Previous experience in a newsroom is preferred
• A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a related field experience
• Be able to write clearly, accurately and in an easy-to-understand manner
• Possess excellent interview and conversational writing skills
• Excellent live reporting skills and strong on-camera presentation skills
• Work under deadline pressure and with limited supervision
• Must be able to excel under deadline pressures
• Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving in a manner that will work well with co-workers, supervisors and viewers
• A valid driver’s license, with a clean driving record, is required
• Ability to carry 30 pounds worth of gear in the field
About Gray Television:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
KCRG-TV9 is the ABC affiliate based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa with bureaus in Dubuque and Iowa City covering all of Eastern Iowa. We are dedicated to being a part of our community and sharing the stories of the people of Eastern Iowa. We produce 5 hours of news every day, as well as support a robust website and the largest social media audience in the market.