Walgreens in Clive evacuated after people inside fall ill

Published: Jan. 26, 2018 at 6:41 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A suburban Des Moines Walgreens has been forced to evacuate after several people inside became ill.

The incident happened Friday afternoon. Hazmat crews were called to a Walgreens on University Avenue in Clive after several people became ill in the pharmacy area of the store.

The Des Moines Register reports that six people in the store were taken to a hospital.

Television station KCCI reports that Walgreens employees posted a sign outside the drive-thru pharmacy reading, "GAS LEAK. Sorry for the inconvenience. Will be back later."

People in the store were reportedly vomiting and suffered headaches and dizziness. Investigators found no carbon monoxide or natural gas in the store.