Advertisement

Viral video teaches important child safety lesson

Child safety experts said nationally one child dies every two weeks from a TV or piece of...
Child safety experts said nationally one child dies every two weeks from a TV or piece of furniture falling on them (KCCI).(KCRG)
Published: Jan. 4, 2017 at 7:46 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A Utah toddler saved his twin brother after a dresser fell on top of him. The moment was captured in a video that has gone viral online.

Des Moines mother Sarah Kuyrkendall said she watched the video Tuesday in shock. Kuyrkendall's 3-year-old daughter Aleena died after a TV fell on top of her in August 2012.

“She was dancing and she grabbed the sides of the TV, and just that fast my life was over,” Kuyrkendall said.

Child safety experts said nationally one child dies every two weeks from a TV or piece of furniture falling on them.

“If it's a piece of furniture that's taller than the knee, you really need to be anchoring that to the wall,” Safe Kids Greater Des Moines coordinator Janna Day said.

Furniture safety straps are inexpensive and can save lives.

Kuyrkendall said she is grateful that the child in the video survived, but she hopes all parents and grandparents take the video as a serious warning to install safety straps.

“Nobody should lose a child over a safety strap. A $15 strap. That's it," Kuyrkendall said. “It makes me sick to my stomach to think that that's what could have saved her life.”

The Safety Store at Blank Children's Hospital is offering furniture safety straps for free until the end of the month.

Otherwise they cost just a few dollars.