UPDATE: Tipton ammonia leak 'no longer a danger'

By  | 

TIPTON, Iowa (KCRG-TV9) -- Authorities on the scene tell TV9 it was not a training exercise, but a valve malfunction that caused the leak.

Credit: Tipton Conservative

Roads were shut down 3/4 to a mile away from the co-op.

Scott Donahue, the fire chief in Tipton, says the anhydrous is no longer a danger to Tipton.
________________
PREVIOUS STORY:

The Tipton superintendent says schools were given the all clear around 10 a.m. and will not have to evacuate their buildings.
________________
PREVIOUS STORY:

The Cedar County Emergency Management Director tells TV9 an exercise at the Cedar County Co-Op at 906 East 7th Street led to the leak.

People within a mile-radius of the co-op are told to take shelter in place.
________________
PREVIOUS STORY:

An anhydrous ammonia leak has happened at a co-op in Tipton.

On September 1 residents were told to shut their windows and turn their air conditioning off.

Stay with TV9 and KWQC-TV6 as the story progresses.