UPDATE: Authorities find empty, half consumed alcohol bottles near Soules' pickup

Published: May. 1, 2017 at 11:23 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

UPDATE: Court documents show former Bachelor star Chris Soules may have been drinking before he was involved in a fatal crash.

Witnesses saw him buy beer shortly before the crash. And the documents also show there were empty alcohol containers and partially consumed beverages in and around Soules' pick-up.

The state has also filed its resistance to Chris Soules' motion to dismiss.

Documents say that the court has already determined “that there is probable cause to believe that an offense has been committed and the defendant committed it” at the Defendant’s Initial Appearance on April 25, 2017.

Court filings also suggest the court has determined probable cause exists to believe the offense has been committed and the defendant committed it. The court has decided the motion to dismiss is premature.

Prosecutors also say Soules attempted "to obfuscate the immediate

facts and circumstances surrounding the accident, including a determination of his level of intoxication and an explanation of the empty and partially consumed open alcoholic beverages located in and around his vehicle that he was seen purchasing at a convenience store shortly before the accident".


Attorneys for former Bachelor star Chris Soules say the charge for leaving the scene of the accident should be dismissed.

In a motion filed Monday in Buchanan County, Soules' attorneys say the 9-1-1 call released to the public last week shows their client satisfied the requirements of Iowa Code.

Soules is charged with leaving the scene of an accident causing death following the April 24 accident in which Soules is accused of rear ending Kenneth Mosher's tractor. Mosher died as a result of the accident.

Authorities released the 9-1-1 call on Wednesday. In the call Soules does identify himself as the person making the call. Soules ends the call after the dispatcher confirms law enforcement is on the way to the scene.

Authorities claim Soules left the scene of the crash sometime between ending the call and them arriving.

Soules was arrested and charged at his home hours after the accident. He was released the following day after posting bond.

Mosher's funeral was held in Oelwein on Monday.

Soules' next court appearance is scheduled for May 9 at 2 p.m.