Advertisement

One person hospitalized after garage boat fire in Grimes

Firefighters observe the scene of a boat fire in a home's garage in Grimes on September 2, 2019...
Firefighters observe the scene of a boat fire in a home's garage in Grimes on September 2, 2019 (KCCI)(KCRG)
Published: Sep. 2, 2019 at 5:29 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

One person was hospitalized Monday after a boat caught fire at a Grimes home.

Emergency crews from Grimes, Urbandale, Clive and Polk County responded to reports of a fire at 347 SW Kennybrook Drive.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a boat that had caught fire inside a garage.

Lt. Heath Osberg, with the Polk County Sheriff’s Office, said 37-year-old David Boots was working on the boat in the garage and that the engine caught fire as he started it.

Osberg said Boots was transported to a hospital for serious burns suffered in the fire.

Firefighters contained the flames to the garage, which sustained smoke and water damage.