No injuries in fire at Iowa Super 8 motel

By  | 

WALNUT, Iowa (KETV) — Nobody was hurt when a fire broke out Sunday morning at the Super 8 motel in Walnut.

"I was laying in bed sleeping when at about 6:30, I heard a boom and then alarms going off," Brenda Wilson said. Wilson is from Missouri and was staying at the hotel for one night while visiting family.

"I started smelling the burning and the smoke and that's when I got up and looked out the window," Wilson said.

The fire started shortly after 6:30 am Sunday. Video and photos provided to KETV from Atlantic radio station KSOM show flames shooting from the building and heavy smoke.

Thirty-one rooms were occupied at the time. Everyone inside was evacuated and got out safely, officials said.

"Walnut fire worked in immediate area of the hotel evacuating and then branched out from there. They did double sweeps to make sure everybody was out of the hotel," Doug Reed, Pottawattamie County Emergency Manager said.

Twelve guest rooms and the pool area are either heavily damaged or destroyed. Around a dozen fire departments assisted.

The wind and no fire hydrants caused some problems for the firefighters on scene. They set up portable tanks to fuel the fire.

"There is no hydrant supply up in this area. We had to use several departments to shuttle water in with tankers," Reed said. "Tankers dump water in there and that supplies the engines."

Owner Brian Patel said he was on his way to work when he got the call from an employee.

"I came out just to see where the smoke was coming out from where the fire was and saw smoke coming out of the pool building and section," Patel said.

A nearby restaurant put up the guests and provided free meals and clothes to those who needed it.

Read the original story at