Neighbor rescues woman from fire that destroyed her Story County home

By  | 

COLO, Iowa (KCCI) Central Iowa fire crews spent several hours Saturday in the cold weather battling a fire that destroyed a woman’s home, authorities said.

Fire rescue personnel from Colo and Nevada were sent around 10 a.m. to a home in the 67000 block of 250th St. in Colo on reports of a fire. Officials said firefighters were there for four hours, putting out hot spots and investigating.

The home is considered a total loss. Investigators said they believe an electrical issue started the fire.

No one was injured in the fire. A neighbor said he was smoking a cigarette outside when he heard an older woman scream for help.

He said he ran inside to rescue the victim and her two dogs.