UPDATE: Boulton's name remains on primary ballot despite campaign suspension

By  | 

DES MOINES, Iowa (KCRG-TV9) -- State Senator Nate Boulton's name will remain on the ballot for the Democratic nomination for governor even after he suspended his campaign Thursday.

Boulton said he's still deciding if he'll stay in the Iowa Senate after three women accused him of sexual misconduct. Senate Minority Leader Janet Petersen on Wednesday called for him to resign from the chamber after the allegations surfaced.

Two of the women said he rubbed his groin against their thighs in bars 16 years ago. The other says he grabbed her behind at a bar three years ago.

Boulton apologized to the women who came forward but neither denied nor affirmed whether the allegations are true. Boulton told Des Moines TV station KCCI in an interview that he is “not going to dispute anything they feel. If I misread a situation, I apologize for it, but it doesn’t matter. I’m not trying to make excuses or change anyone’s account.”

Boulton's wife, Andrea, said she is standing by him and that this is not the husband she knows. She said her husband will still be a solid senator.

"The same person that he was last week fighting for Iowans and putting forth this positive vision for Iowa is the same person he is today and the same person he will be moving on into the future," she said.
_______________
PREVIOUS STORY:

A Democrat has announced he will be pulling out of the election for governor after allegations of sexual misconduct.

Nate Boulton was in a six-way race for the Democratic nomination for governor.

"These the last 48 hours have been trying. I again offer an apology to those whom I have harmed in any way," Boulton said.

Three women said earlier this week Nate Boulton touched them inappropriately during separate incidents.

"It is my hope there is some positive that can come from this moment as we strive to be the better people we can be in the coming days, weeks, months, and years. I know that will be my task moving on from here," Boulton said.

Still up for the Democratic nomination are Cathy Glasson, Fred Hubbell, Andy McGuire, John Norris, and Ross Wilburn.

The chairman of the Republican Party of Iowa Jeff Kaufmann released a statement after hearing about the accusations. He called the allegations against Boulton "deeply disturbing."