Mystique Casino changes name to Q Casino

By  | 

DUBUQUE, Iowa (KCRG-TV9) -- Competition between casinos is part of the reason a Dubuque casino is re-branding.The Mystique Casino is changing its name to "Q Casino," effective March 1, 2017.

The re-branding comes as that casino has been losing revenue.

Between 2008 and 2016, Q Casino's revenue decreased 32 percent. While the revenue at Diamond Jo, the other casino in Dubuque, went up 68 percent. The increase started shortly after the Diamond Jo opened a new facility in December of 2008.

In addition to increased competition from the Diamond Jo casino, Q casino directors say they're losing customers to the two new casinos in Davenport. Next month, crews will renovate Q casino's two restaurants. The gaming floor will now be open 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Directors say they'll be announcing several big name musical acts scheduled to perform at the casino.

They say all those changes are a way to stay relevant among the competition.

"It is a way for is to maybe keep up with it. We just want to get back what we lost, bring in some of our customers back and hopefully bring some new customers to us," said Q Casino’s Brian Southwood.

This isn't the first renaming of the casino. Until 2009, the Mystique Casino was called the Dubuque Greyhound Park and Casino.

TV-9 reached out to the Diamond Jo Casino for comment about the casino competition, but didn't get a response.