UPDATE: Man's death following arrest at Dubuque bar ruled a homicide

Published: May. 7, 2017 at 2:02 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The death of Cupps has been ruled a homicide. The Iowa State Medical Examiner has determined Cupps died from heart failure, brought on by recent amphetamine use.

His death has been ruled a homicide, but that’s largely because medical examiners have just a few categories that they can put deaths into.

Because another person was involved in Cupps’ death, it fits the bill of a homicide.

The case has been turned over to the Dubuque County Attorney, who will determine whether any charges will be filed.



Dubuque Police said 43-year-old Chad Cupps of Manchester died after officers arrested him following a report he was assaulting people at a bar early in the morning on Sunday, May 7.

Police said it happened about 1:40 a.m. at Shannon's Bar and Grill on East 22nd Street. People inside were restraining Cupps when police tried to arrest him. Officers said they had to use pepper spray because Cupps continued to resist.

Police said Cupps became unresponsive and went into cardiac arrest. Officers began CPR and transported him to a hospital where he died.

Police told KCRG-TV9 an autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday. They expect to have preliminary results within a couple days, but the toxicology report won't be available for several weeks.

Police said their investigation is continuing.



Dubuque police confirm a man died after he was arrested for allegedly assaulting people at a bar early Sunday morning.

Officers responded at 1:42 a.m. to Shannon's Bar and Grill on East 22nd Street after receiving a report of a man who was assaulting people inside.

People inside restrained the man before police attempted to arrest but he resisted. Officers used pepper spray on the man, who became unresponsive.

He went into cardiac arrest and officers began CPR. He was transported to a nearby hospital, where he died.

Witnesses say they woke up to the sounds of several people shouting. Witnesses say the man kept resisting arrest.

"All I heard was bartender yelling, screaming get him or get him or something like that," Michael Woodard.

An investigation is underway into the incident.

Note: Scanner traffic audio has been condensed for time.