CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (Hy-Vee) - Lemon Chicken Quinoa Bowls are a bright and flavorful way to start your healthy New Year. This dish is a delicious way to enjoy a balanced meal you can simply assemble on a busy weeknight, or enjoy for lunches throughout the week, if you prepare ahead on the weekend.
The key is selecting quality ingredients, seasoning them smart and storing them correctly. Your Hy-Vee dietitian features a variety of fresh, flavorful ingredients that combine to make eating smart in the New Year easy and delicious.
Lemon Chicken Quinoa Bowls
All you need:
1 lb. Just Bare boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp lemon zest, divided
½ cup fresh lemon juice, divided
2/3 cup Gustare Vita olive oil, divided
2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
¼ tsp plus 1/8 tsp Hy-Vee lemon-pepper seasoning, plus additional for serving; divided
2 tsp Hy-Vee honey
1 cup dry Hy-Vee tricolor quinoa
2 cups Hy-Vee 33%-less-sodium chicken broth
Hy-Vee nonstick cooking spray
2 cups Hy-Vee short cuts broccoli florets
6 cups lightly packed arugula
2 cups halved red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes
½ seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
Chopped fresh lemon, for garnish
Crumbled feta cheese, for garnish
All you do:
1. Lightly pound chicken to an even thickness with the flat side of a meat mallet. Place chicken in a large re-sealable plastic bag. Combine 2 tsp lemon zest, ¼ cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, oregano and ¼ tsp lemon-pepper seasoning in a small bowl. Pour marinade over chicken; seal bag. Turn bag to coat chicken with marinade. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes.
2. Whisk together remaining 1/3 cup olive oil, remaining ¼ cup lemon juice, honey and remaining 1/8 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Place quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve. Rinse under cold running water; drain well. Transfer quinoa to a small saucepan; add broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add remaining 1 tsp. lemon zest and fluff quinoa with a fork. Cover and keep warm.
4. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Lightly spray a large cast-iron grill pan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add chicken; cook for 12-15 minutes or until done (165 degrees Fahrenheit), turning once. Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Loosely cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut chicken into ½ inch slices.
5. Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 1-2 tbsp water & microwave, covered, on HIGH for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
6. Divide arugula among four serving bowls. Arrange chicken slices, quinoa, broccoli, tomatoes and cucumber on top. Garnish with chopped lemon and/or crumbled feta cheese, if desired. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Sprinkle with additional lemon pepper, if desired.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 670 calories, 42 grams fat, 6 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 85 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 40 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams fiber, 9 grams sugar (3 grams added sugar), 35 grams protein
This information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.