CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (Hy-Vee Dietitian) - With Thanksgiving under our belt (literally) and with Christmas right around the corner, most of us are in the holiday spirit. Being in the holiday spirit does not mean we have to leave our health go by the wayside.
Hy-Vee Dietitian Nicole Johnson shares a few healthy recipe options for the holiday season on Tuesday, December 4, 2018. (KCRG)
Nicole, Hy-Vee Dietitian, reminds us to enjoy all of the special foods this holiday season but also keep our health in mind. One meal or one day will not dictate our health. However, the things that we day-in and day-out will influence our health over time. Nicole has some easy, practical tips to help us healthy and happy this holiday season!
1. Drink plenty of water – carry a water bottle around with you.
2. Move! 30 minutes of exercise per day is recommended. If that amount seems overwhelming, aim to get steps in however you can.
Here are some ideas:
• Park your car farther away.
• While watching TV, march in place during the commercials.
• Take stretch breaks at work.
3. Eat regular meals. Snacks can be healthy, however, all day grazing is not a good habit.
4. Make your meals balanced by including fruits and vegetables.
Nicole will show you how easy it is to include fruits and vegetables into your meals. Here are two simple recipes.
All you need:
• 12 oz. package petite baby carrots
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• Garlic powder, to taste
• Lawry’s seasoning salt, to taste
All you do:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
3. Spread petite baby carrots on prepared baking sheet.
4. Drizzle olive oil and spread evenly over the vegetables.
5. Sprinkle seasoning on vegetables.
6. Bake in 450 degree F. oven for 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
*Vegetables are done when golden brown and fork-tender.
Source: Hy-Vee Dietitians
Sautéed Green Beans
All you need:
16 ounce package frozen whole green beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and black pepper, to taste
½ cup slivered almonds
All you do:
1. Place olive oil in pan. Add greens beans and cook over medium heat.
2. Stirring occasionally, cook until green beans are fork tender around 10 minutes.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Add slivered almonds.
Source: Nicole Johnson, RD, LD – Hy-Vee Dietitian
Nicole Johnson represents Hy-Vee as a nutrition expert promoting healthy eating throughout the community. Nicole is a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
This information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.