Five Hospitalized for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Waterloo

Published: Mar. 3, 2016 at 5:11 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Five people were taken to the hospital overnight for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Waterloo Fire Department responded to the 500 block of Archer Avenue around 11 p.m. Wednesday. Crews arrived to find one adult unconscious in the doorway. Three other adults and a toddler were out of the house and conscious, according to Battalion Chief Marty Freshwater.

Firefighters said a gas power generator that had been running inside the home for about a half hour was the source of the carbon monoxide. Freshwater said the occupants mistakenly thought leaving a window open on the storm door would provide enough ventilation.

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when carbon monoxide gas builds up in the bloodstream. Red blood cells in the human body end up substituting carbon monoxide for the normal oxygen , which

can lead to severe tissue damage or even death.

All five people are expected to recover, firefighters said.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this story.