Advertisement

Fire official: Man suffers burns after e-cigarette explosion

(KCRG)
Published: Jun. 27, 2018 at 8:06 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A man was taken to the hospital Wednesday afternoon following an e-cigarette explosion, West Des Moines fire officials said.

West Des Moines Fire Marshal Mike Whitsell told KCCI that authorities received a call around 3:30 p.m. for reports of a burn victim at the Sun Prairie Apartments.

Fire officials said the man was sitting on his couch and talking on the phone when the e-cigarette blew up in his pocket, which he described as a roman candle going off.

The victim tried to pull it out of his pocket. He threw his pants with the burning e-cigarette into the hallway, and the batteries kept burning and melted the carpet.

The second floor was filled with smoke, and a maintenance worker was able to put the flames out.

The victim was taken to a Des Moines-area hospital with significant burns. West Des Moines fire officials said the investigation is ongoing.

They also remind e-cigarette users to do their research and see if there are any recalls or reports of other fires associated with the brand.

Latest News