Family searches for answers and justice following Cedar Rapids murder

Published: Jul. 30, 2017 at 11:55 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Who killed him and why? Those are the questions loved ones want to know after someone beat Chuck Flint to death a week ago.

Police say the assault took place around five p.m. July 23. Flint died days later at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. The 60-year-old was from Cedar Rapids.

The attack happened near the intersection of 1st Avenue and 11th Street Southwest in Cedar Rapids. That's where friends and family gathered Sunday evening to remember the man they said was loved by many.

"Good man, good life,” said Dean, a longtime friend of Flint. “Just retired. He got everything going for him. All of sudden something like this happens-- it's just not right."

Not right that loved ones had to stand near the spot Flint was brutally attacked and mourn his death.

Dean the former roofer had been a fierce companion with a personality that couldn't be topped.

"His personality was great,” said Dean. “He was in to his football big time. He loved the Vikings that's his favorite team."

Besides loving the Vikings, Flint loved his family. Christopher Flint, Chuck Flint’s brother, said his sibling would give the shirt off his back to a stranger.

"Chuck's family was Cedar Rapids,” said Christopher Flint. “He was a part of it. He was respected by it. This is a tragedy for everybody."

Chuck Flint was attacked while walking to his apartment, a few blocks from a bar he frequented. Police said there were groceries scattered at the scene, suggesting Flint may have stopped somewhere else on his way home that day.

Other than that details are few. Those that knew Flint are left with little to no explanation as to why someone would hurt the man.

"I can't believe in broad daylight, on a busy street, that somebody didn't see something," said another of Chuck Flint’s brothers, Craig Flint.

Family is pleading for anyone with information about the attack to come forward and tell police. At last check, authorities hadn't made an arrest in connection to Flint's murder.