Cedar Rapids woman dies following apartment fire

Published: Dec. 16, 2018 at 2:35 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Authorities say a Cedar Rapids woman has died after a fire, last week.

Emergency crews rescued Sharon T. Garnett, 43, from a fire at 3021 6th Street SW around 2:40 p.m., Friday. Garnett had been taken to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics for life-threatening injuries. Authorities said she died, Saturday afternoon.

After firefighters made entry into the apartment and found flames on the first floor in the kitchen. The fire was quickly extinguished.

“During a search of the apartment, firefighters located the victim on the second floor of the apartment unit in a bedroom,” said Public Safety Spokesman Greg Buelow, in a news release, Sunday. “She was removed from the dwelling and emergency personnel provided medical care.”

Buelow said Garnett “sustained significant smoke inhalation and her ability to safely escape the fire was complicated by a medical condition.”

Investigators believe flames started on the stovetop in the kitchen “as the result of unattended cooking.” Buelow said authorities have determined the fire was unintentional.

Authorities said there were working smoke alarms in the apartment unit.

“This is the second fire fatality in Cedar Rapids this year,” Buelow said. “There was a fatal apartment fire on February 17, 2018.”

Authorities said three in 10 home fires in Cedar Rapids are the result of unattended cooking.

“The Fire Department reminds citizens of the importance of not leaving food cooking on the stovetop unattended,” Buelow said. “For more fire safety information, please visit our website at www.cedar-rapids.org/fire.”