Advertisement

Marion fires caused by open flames being used as light sources

Helmets from the Marion Fire Department (KCRG)
Helmets from the Marion Fire Department (KCRG)(KCRG)
Published: Aug. 12, 2020 at 9:23 AM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) - The Marion Fire Department said it responded to two house fires Tuesday night caused by open flames being used as sources of light during the power outages.

The fire department said one house was a 50 percent loss while the other was a total loss.

The Marion Fire Department offers these important reminders:

  • Do not have a burning flame within three feet of combustibles (any item that can burn). 
  • Make sure the candle or lamp is not on a plastic surface.
  • Do not leave an open flame unattended. 
  • Make sure the flame is completely out before leaving the room and no longer producing smoke.
  • If possible, use battery-powered or solar-powered lighting.
  • If you have pets, please try to avoid using open flames.

Copyright 2020 KCRG. All rights reserved.

Latest News

Latest News