Humboldt, Iowa -
Location: Humboldt County (North Central Iowa)
Population: 4,452 (2000 census)
4th of July organizers hope their 267.1 pound pork burger is one for the record books.
Information from Head Cook Gary Vinsand and 4th of July Committee Member Tom Greene
-Burger was put together on Friday night (July 02) and kept in a cooler at Hy-vee Grocery Store.
-240 pounds of pork (pre-cooked weight) and 6 pounds of seasoning were used.
-It takes about two average size hogs to make that much meat.
-A 130 pound pan was specially built to cook the burger.
-The burger was three and one-half feet in diameter and ten inches thick.
-Five man cooking crew. (Names listed below)
-Started cooking Saturday, July 03 at about 7:00 a.m.
-Finished Saturday afternoon at about 4:30 p.m.
-Cooked to a center temperature of 155 degrees Fahrenheit
Information from Humboldt County Sheriff Dean Kruger
45.2 pounds - Bun weight
221.9 pounds - Cooked pork burger weight
267.1 pounds - Official weight as certified by Humboldt, Iowa County Sheriff Dean Kruger
After the weight was certified the burger was cut and handed out to anyone who wanted to try it.
The pork burger should be a Guinness World Record for the largest pork burger (meat and bun). There was not a Guinness Official in Humboldt so all paper work, video and photos need to be verified by Guinness before it becomes official.
(In order of video)
- Humboldt, Iowa Fourth of July Welcome banner
- Cooks J.D. Myer (blue apron) (left) and Gary Vinsand (green apron)
- Pork burger on the grill
- Unknown person looking in peep hole of grill
- Pan lid
- Pork burger fully cooked and preparing to put the bun top on
- Putting the bun top on
- Humboldt County Sheriff Dean Kruger (left) verifies the weight of the pork burger
- Cooking Crew Brian Spellmeyer (sitting), Head Cook Gary Vinsand (green apron) (standing from left) , Kevin King, Will Spellmeyer, J.D. Myers (blue apron) and "Official Weigher" (Sheriff Kruger's term) Humboldt, Iowa County Sheriff Dean Kruger
- Crowd (wide)
- Head Cook Gary Vinsand makes the first cut
- Waiting to be served
- Waiting to be served
- Serving pork burgers
- When I asked Bobby Monson, 11, Humboldt, Iowa, how it tasted he replied, "Very very good."
- Sponsor Banner