Small Fire in Hiawatha Apartment Building Forces Evacuation

By Brandi Bachman, KCRG TV-9

Hiawatha firefighters had to evacuate an apartment building in the 200 block of Robins Road Tuesday morning after a small fire. Firefighters were called out a little after 8:30 to Unit C, after residents found smoke in the hallway.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming from behind a locked door. Crews busted through the door and had to put out flames coming from inside of a trash can. Fire alarms inside of the apartment were not going off.

“So had tenants not been awake and saw the smoke coming out of the door, or smelled it, it could have potentially been a lot worse,” said Hiawatha Fire Chief Mike Nesslage. “It's a good reminder that you got to make sure your smoke detectors are working.”

Firefighters were able to get the situation under control in just minutes. No one was injured.

facebook twitter email alerts you tube hooplanow

 close  don't show again