Twins Blamed for Starting Eastern Iowa Barn Fire

Associated Press

ZWINGLE, Iowa (AP) — A fire that destroyed an eastern Iowa barn was apparently caused by twin 5-year-olds who were curious about fire.

The Dubuque Telegraph Herald reports the Friday afternoon fire near Zwingle destroyed an old barn and damaged another nearby barn as well as other out buildings.

LaMotte Fire Chief Joe Kilburg says the property was being rented. Two 5-year-old children of the renter apparently started the fire by using a cigarette lighter to burn twine in the barn.

Kilburg says the children had received fire prevention training in school and “were apparently curious.”

The children escaped unharmed. The names of those involved weren’t released.

A business on the property, Mike’s Antiques, wasn’t damaged.

Zwingle is about 15 miles south of Dubuque.

facebook twitter email alerts you tube hooplanow