Severe Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Winter Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Current Alerts

Current Alerts Click to learn more

X Close

Live Scoreboard

Total Yards:
Passing Yards:
Rushing Yards:

Total Yards:
Passing Yards:
Rushing Yards:

Game Highlights

Scoreboard refreshes every five minutes
Click Here for our Friday Night Lights live stream and game chat

Swipe left and right to view more scores

Scores refresh every five minutes. View more scores

Man Charged After Bullets Hit 2 Houses in SE Cedar Rapids

  • Video
  • Photo
Video player is loading

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Police have provided more answers as to why they taped off a block on the city’s southeast side for hours Friday night.

A 23-year-old man is in custody after police say they were called out for gunshots.

Now they’re crediting witnesses for talking.

Plenty of people stood near the 300 block of 16th Street SE - for more than an hour as dusk turned to darkness on Friday night in Cedar Rapids.

Reports of gunshots brought out all of the squad cars as investigators combed near 16th and 4th Avenue SE to figure out what happened.

“There was an apparent exchange of gunfire and some of the shots exchanged hit two occupied houses.” said CRPD Chief Wayne Jerman.

Jerman spoke on Saturday to try and add facts to the chatter for why were police on scene for hours.

Jerman said it was the information from witnesses throughout the night that led to the arrest of 23-year-old Marcus Wilson of Cedar Rapids. Wilson is charged with two counts of Intimidation with a Weapon for the two homes police say were hit, along with a drug charge after investigators say they found crack cocaine in a car he was in.

Yet more than 3 hours after the initial report of shots fired, the CRPD’s mobile unit was parked on Bever Avenue, a block from the perimeter. Jerman said they took this step to make sure no additional suspects were inside one of the occupied homes.

The police chief noted the help investigators received -- on a night in the neighborhood where dozens of people stood watch, for hours.

“What I do know is the outstanding police work of the officers who were on scene and also by the community, the citizens, the residents and the neighbors who stepped up for more information,” said Jerman.

The incident comes as, back on April 29th, Chief Jerman called a news conference at Cedar Rapids police headquarters to talk about the recent wave of gun incidents throughout the city.

Featured Videos