MASON CITY, Iowa (AP) — Nearly 640 Mason City customers lost their service because of a natural gas leak.
Authorities say a dozen houses, a church and an apartment building were evacuated for about 90 minutes on Sunday morning because of the potential for fire.
Heather Holmes with Alliant Energy says the leak occurred during a project to create a new gas bypass to Mercy Medical Center-North Iowa. Holmes says the leak had been repaired by early evening. She says Alliant workers will be helping customers relight pilot lights and checking for leaks on Monday.