CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Cedar Rapids officials said an overnight fire badly damaged a mixed retail and apartment building early on Sunday morning. They were first called out to the building at 116 15th Street NE shortly after 1:00 A.M.
Fire crews said there were flames coming out of the windows of an apartment on the 2nd floor of the building. They say two people were inside the building when the fire started, but were ablet to get out unharmed.
The fire was extinguished in about 20 minutes, but crews were on scene for some time after that to monitor the situation. Officials said in a news release that while the fire was contained to just the apartment, the rest of the building did sustain smoke damage.
The fire department says the smoke detectors in the building were not working. They are still yet to deterimine the cause of the fire.