Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather
Hamburg Inn No. 2 Reopens After Fire
By Stacey Murray, The Gazette
IOWA CITY, Iowa The Hamburg Inn No. 2 reopened Monday morning with employees serving breakfast to customers after a basement fire closed the restaurant for nearly three months and caused an estimated $200,000 in damage.
Owner Dave Panther said roughly 100 customers had returned to the Hamburg Inn No. 2 through the noon hour for the reopening.
The restaurant closed on May 18 after rags on a shelf in the basement self-ignited. The ground floor and upstairs apartments sustained smoke damage, while the blaze in the basement destroyed the water softener, water heater, basement ceiling, and electrical wiring.