Cedar Rapids Weather
READLYN, Iowa A weekend fire killed 64-year-old Richard Elliot, according to detective Dave MacDonald with the Bremer County Sheriff’s Office.
Firefighters responded around 7 p.m. Sunday to the 100 block of West Third Street in Readlyn for a report of a fire. They arrived to find a home fully involved. Authorities found a body after putting out the fire.
An autopsy from the State Medical Examiner’s Office in Ankeny confirmed it belonged to Elliot, and certified that he died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation. Dr. Dennis Klein determined Elliot’s death was an accident.
Fire investigators have not yet determined how the fire started, but do not suspect foul play.