Severe Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Winter Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Current Alerts

Current Alerts Click to learn more

X Close

1 man dies, woman injured in house fire

Meet The Team

    • Photo
    August 29, 2014 | 10:41 am

    MASON CITY (AP) — A cigarette was blamed for a house fire in Mason City that killed a man and injured a woman.

    The Globe Gazette reports firefighters responded to the fire late Wednesday and found the occupants in different parts of the home.

    Authorities say 62-year-old Jesse Pierce, who owned the home, was taken by ambulance to a hospital, where he died.

    Cherie McClemons, a 59-year-old woman who lived in the house, was taken to a local hospital and then transferred to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.

    Fire officials say the blaze started when a cigarette fell from an ashtray into the cushions of a living room recliner.

    The home’s smoke detectors didn’t have batteries.

    Featured Videos