Back-to-school time has many of us thinking about what to pack for lunch. Beat the brown bag monotony with some fresh lunch ideas this year! Mount Vernon Road Hy-Vee dietitian, Kimberly Proctor, has some quick and easy ideas that are sure to please both kids and adults. Follow the instructions below to assemble a balanced midday meal.
Main Dishes: Choose 1 option
• Chicken Salad: Combine 3 oz. cooked or canned chicken, small amount of low-fat mayo, halved grapes, 2 Tbsp. pecans, and 2 Tbsp. dried cranberries.
• Veggie Lovers: sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded lettuce, sliced peppers, shredded carrots, low-fat ranch, fresh mozzarella cheese or feta crumbles
• Tuna Salad: Combine 1 small pouch of tuna, small amount of low-fat mayo, sliced celery, shredded carrots and 2 Tbsp. sliced almonds.
• Sub Sandwich: sliced DiLusso deli meat, tomatoes, lettuce, pickle, onion, provolone cheese, mustard
Try these bread options: whole wheat bread, whole wheat pita pocket, whole grain crackers, rice cakes, whole wheat mini bagels, or whole wheat sandwich thins.
• Banana Roll-up: Spread whole grain tortilla with thin layer of peanut butter, drizzle with small amount of honey, place 1 whole banana at one end and roll up.
• Veggie Basil: Spread thin layer of low-fat veggie cream cheese on tortilla, sprinkle with 1-2 T. fresh basil, add your favorite DiLusso deli meat, provolone cheese and fresh spinach leaves. Roll and enjoy.
• Southwest: pre-cooked chicken strips, black beans, shredded lettuce, 2% milk cheese, salsa
• Thai: rotisserie chicken, shredded coleslaw mix, Litehouse mild Thai peanut dressing and chopped dry roasted peanuts.
• Asian: Use the salad kit in a bag. Add mandarin oranges and diced pre-cooked chicken (either canned, cooked breast meat, or DiLusso deli meat cubed).
• Southwestern: romaine lettuce, kidney or black beans, 2% cheese, salsa, Mexicorn, low-fat ranch, ½ lime squeezed over salad
• Strawberry spinach: Top fresh spinach leaves with sliced strawberries, walnuts or pecans, pre-cooked chicken and a low-fat poppy seed dressing.
• Fruit Inspired: Top romaine and baby spinach with mandarin oranges, strawberries, blueberries, walnuts or pecans, feta cheese, low-fat poppy seed dressing.
• Club: Top romaine lettuce with tomatoes, cucumbers, diced chicken, 2% milk cheese, cut-up turkey bacon, favorite low-fat dressing
Side Options: Choose 1-3 options from different categories.
• 1 whole fruit: banana, peach, apple, pear, orange, plum, kiwi
• 1 cup cut-up/prepared fruit: grapes, strawberries, pineapple
• Applesauce cup, unsweetened or light
• Fruit in gel cups, light
• Canned fruit in small cup, packed in water or own juice
• 1 cup raw veggies; baby carrots, carrot chips, celery, cauliflower, grape or cherry tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, sliced peppers
• Broccoli slaw mixed with small amount of low-fat mayo, shredded carrots and raisins
• Side garden salad – top with tomatoes, cucumbers, shredded carrots, low-fat dressing
Protein & Dairy:
• String cheese
• Cottage cheese, ½ cup skim or 1%
• Cheese cubes, 4 dice = 1 serving
• Hard-boiled egg
• Peanut butter (use as dip for fruit or veggies)
• Light yogurt (look for one with less than 100 calories per serving)
• Skim or 1% milk, 8 oz.
• Pudding cup – low-fat or sugar-free
• Hummus dip (use on veggies or whole-wheat crackers)
Putting it all together
The following are examples of healthy balanced lunches:
• Mini-bagels with peanut butter, baby carrots, yogurt
• String cheese, hard-boiled egg, pretzels, apple, V8 V-Fusion
• Leftover pizza, cherry tomatoes with dill dip, raisins, chocolate soy milk
• Sliced ham and cheese with whole-grain crackers, zucchini sticks with ranch dressing,
• Vegetable soup in a thermos, crackers with peanut butter, sliced peaches, milk
• Tomato and mozzarella cheese on English muffin, soy nuts, fruit and Jell-O cup, milk
• Tuna or chicken salad in pita bread, pickle slices/spears, fresh or canned pear, pudding cup, water
• Rice cakes, hard-boiled egg, celery with peanut butter & raisins, flavored water