Kirk Ferentz Remains Highest Paid State Employee
By Mark Carlson, Reporter
IOWA CITY, Iowa - It's a distinction that Iowa head football coach Kirk Ferentz has probably grown used to. Ferentz has been the top paid state employee for the last handful of years, and banking nearly $4 million in fiscal 2011, he wont be moving from the number one slot.
According to University spokesman, Tom Moore, Ferentz's salary is completely funded by athletic revenue. Regardless, some fans appear to be growing restless with how their game day dollars are being spent.
"When we start falling behind in a game it's already over," said Hawkeye fan Steve Brown. "Like last week in Minnesota, last year in Minnesota, last year at Northwestern."
An unofficial poll of Iowa City residents walking down Clinton Street turned out like this:
Four people supported paying Ferentz $3.86 million in 2011. Four people opposed it. Two were indifferent, and one person dropped an expletive.
Here is the list of the other nine "top earners" paid by the state in fiscal 2011:
1. Kirk Ferentz, University of Iowa head football coach, $3.86 million
2. Jean Robillard, UI vice president for medical affairs, $1.28 million
3. Paul Rhoads, Iowa State University head football coach, $1.1 million
4. Todd Lickliter, former UI head basketball coach, $883,333
5. Fran McCaffery, UI head basketball coach, $873,600
6. Fred Hoiberg, ISU head basketball coach, $808,333
7. Paul Rothman, UI dean of College of Medicine, $805,942
8. Mark Iannettoni, UI professor and head of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, $780,323
9. Ken Kates, UI associate vice president of medical affairs, $719,666
10. James Davis, UI associate professor of Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery, $663,537
What's On KCRG