Severe Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Winter Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Current Alerts

Current Alerts Click to learn more

X Close

Live Scoreboard

Total Yards:
Passing Yards:
Rushing Yards:

Total Yards:
Passing Yards:
Rushing Yards:

Game Highlights

Scoreboard refreshes every five minutes
Click Here for our Friday Night Lights live stream and game chat

Swipe left and right to view more scores

Scores refresh every five minutes. View more scores

Fighting Saints Fall To Waterloo, 6-4

  • Video
Video player is loading
DUBUQUE, IAA five-minute major penalty hurt the Dubuque Fighting Saints chances to earn a big Prairie Farms Cowbell Cup victory Saturday night. Waterloo scored three goals on the major powerplay to take a large lead that they never relinquished, beating Dubuque 6-4 in front of 3,307 at the Mystique Community Ice Center Saturday.

Following a second period goal to give Waterloo a 2-1 lead, Dubuque's Seamus Malone was assessed a five-minute slashing major at 8:22 and Waterloo took full advantage on the powerplay.

Mark Friedman blasted a shot from the left point over Ben Johansson's shoulder to give Waterloo a 3-1 lead at 9:05. Just 12 seconds later, Waterloo converted again, as a Waterloo shot missed the net, hit the end boards, and popped right to Blake Winiecki who tapped it past Johansson to make it 4-1 at 9:17.

Still on the major powerplay, Tyler Sheehy extended Waterloo's lead, collecting a bouncing puck on the left wing, and roofing a shot over Hayden Stewart, who replaced Johansson in goal following the Hawks' fourth goal. The goal at 11:27 made it 5-1 Waterloo, and was assisted by Zach Sanford and Drew Melanson.

Once Malone's penalty expired, Dubuque went to work on a comeback. Alexx Privitera snapped a shot from the high slot blocker side on netminder Cal Petersen to make the game 5-2 at 16:18. However, with less than a minute left in the period, Dubuque found another puck in the back of their net. Winiecki scored his second of the game on a harmless looking wrist shot from the blueline that somehow dipped under Stewart's blocker at 19:05 to make it 6-2.

Dubuque Head Coach Matt Shaw switched back to Johansson in goal in the third period, and Dubuque responded with an early goal. Max McHugh was the beneficiary of hard work by Jacob Benson in the corner. Benson dug the puck free and chipped it in front to McHugh who fired a snapshot off the post and in past Petersen's blocker only 1:45 into the period to make it 6-3.

The Fighting Saints comeback attempt continued at 4:04 of the third period. Alexx Privitera scored his second goal of the game to make it 6-4. Dubuque mounted a strong shift that saw the puck bounce around in front of the Waterloo net. Jarrid Privitera and Robby Darrar took swipes at it, but it popped back to Alexx in the low slot and he whistled a shot over Petersen to make it a two-goal game with less than 16 minutes to play.

However, the lead mounted by Waterloo in the second period was too much to overcome as the Fighting Saints fell to 2-3-0 in Prairie Farms Cowbell Cup play. Waterloo improved to 5-1-1 in the rivalry series and earned its second win over the Fighting Saints this season.

Dubuque outshot Waterloo 29-28. Stewart took the loss in goal for the Fighting Saints despite only playing part of the second period. Petersen stopped 25 shots to earn the win.

Dubuque's first goal in the game's opening period came from Blake Hillman. It was his first USHL goal and opened the scoring.

Featured Videos