Severe Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Winter Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Current Alerts

Current Alerts Click to learn more

X Close

Live Scoreboard

Total Yards:
Passing Yards:
Rushing Yards:

Total Yards:
Passing Yards:
Rushing Yards:

Game Highlights

Scoreboard refreshes every five minutes
Click Here for our Friday Night Lights live stream and game chat

Swipe left and right to view more scores

Scores refresh every five minutes. View more scores

Dubuque's Chanter Okay and Doing Well

  • Video
Video player is loading
Dylan Chanter felt well enough late Sunday afternoon to wish his fellow Canadians a happy holiday.

"Happy thanksgiving to everyone back home," the Dubuque Fighting Saints defenseman said on Twitter, referring to Monday's Canadian Thanksgiving Day. "So thankful for all of the support so far. #roadtorecovery"

That Chanter was back in Dubuque convalescing less than 24 hours after suffering a horrific-looking injury is just short of amazing. The 18-year-old from British Columbia was knocked unconscious and taken from the Cedar Rapids Ice Arena via ambulance to a local hospital after hitting the back of his head on the ice during a fight with Corey Petrash of the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders.

Chanter lost his balance and fell backward, with Petrash appearing to land on him. Losing his helmet in the scrap, the back of Chanter's head smacked directly into the ice, immediately knocking him out.

He convulsed for at least two minutes while medical staff rushed to tend to him. The game was suspended with 11:58 remaining in the second period and Cedar Rapids leading, 2-0.

No date or time for the conclusion of the game has been announced.

"It was obviously a very scary and stressful situation, but, in retrospect, it was handled flawlessly and his safety was the No. 1 priority," Dubuque Coach Matt Shaw said Sunday. "And I think that's a big reason why Dylan is feeling much, much better today. Our trainer, Sean Murdoch, was absolutely unbelievable throughout the whole ordeal. He was incredible.

"From the arena staff in Cedar Rapids to the medical staff at the local hospital to the doctors in Iowa City, Dylan received the best possible care. I was thoroughly impressed. Obviously, I hope we're never faced with a situation like that in our building, but if we are, I can only hope we handle it as well as it was handled by the people in Cedar Rapids."

Chanter was diagnosed with a concussion. Hospital tests that included a CT scan came back relatively clean, though as a precaution, he was airlifted to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City to see a neurologist there.

Chanter was eventually released and on his way back to Dubuque early Sunday morning with Murdoch.

"Wanted to let everyone know I'm awake and okay," Chanter Tweeted late Saturday night. "Thank you so much for all your thoughts (and) prayers. Nothing compares to the hockey community."

"We wish the best for Dylan Chanter," RoughRiders Coach Mark Carlson said Sunday. "We wish him a speedy recovery. Our thoughts are with him and his family. I want to commend everyone involved last night for doing a great job in a difficult situation."

Chanter's mother actually was watching the game online and saw her son's injury. She traveled Sunday from Canada to Dubuque to be with him.

"We called her immediately, even before Dylan was taken off the ice," said Shaw. "That's such a helpless position to be in, and we wanted to make sure she knew exactly what was going on with Dylan."

- See more at:

Featured Videos