Waterloo Recycling Fire May Have Smoldered for Days

WATERLOO, Iowa - Firefighters fought a fire at the Cedar Valley Recycling and Transfer in Waterloo Monday morning.

Crews arrived around 7:30 a.m. and worked for several hours to put out a fire that may have been smoldering for days. Waterloo Fire Department Battalion Chief Mike Moore said employees at the recycling company tried to put out the fire before calling for help. One of the employees was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Moore said the fire was likely caused by moldy cardboard. Wet cardboard had been packed in the building for days causing it to mold and heat up. When workers stirred the fire, it caused flames.

Firefighters finally packed up at around noon Monday. They said putting out the fire was a slow process because they had to dig out smoldering pieces from massive piles of recycled cardboard.
facebook twitter rss mobile google plus
email alerts you tube hooplanow pinterest instagram