Cedar Rapids Weather
Two Treated for Smoke Inhalation Following House Fire
By Hayley Bruce, Reporter
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Two adults were treated for smoke inhalation following a house fire in Cedar Rapids on Sunday.
A press release from the Cedar Rapids fire department said the couple was in a second floor bedroom when they noticed smoke moving across the ceiling. After investigating, Michael Marsh, 57, determined the smoke was coming from an entertainment center on the first floor of the home.
The release said Marsh then went outside, retrieved a garden hose, and put out the majority of the fire at 1002 A Avenue NW while his wife, Anette Marsh, 51, called 911.
Firefighters arrived two the two story single-family home shortly after 2 p.m. and rescued Anette Marsh from a second story porch using a ground ladder, the release said.
Firefighters then used a small amount of water to extinguish combustible materials close to the entertainment center that were still hot. The release said the damage was contained to the living room, but smoke damage affected the entire house.
Initial reports indicate a candle left burning may have caused the fire.
The husband and wife were treated by paramedics for possible smoke inhalation on scene and were later taken to St. Luke’s Hospital.
What's On KCRG