Severe Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Winter Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Current Alerts

Current Alerts Click to learn more

X Close

Click Here for our Friday Night Lights live stream and game chat

Swipe left and right to view more scores

Scores refresh every five minutes. View more scores

Third Suspect in Iowa City Regina Bomb Threats Lives on East Coast

  • Video
  • Photo
Video player is loading
IOWA CITY, Iowa - A third person suspected in connection with a pair of bomb threats that shuttered Iowa City's Regina Catholic Education Center twice this year lives on the East Coast and has not yet been arrested.

Police arrested two brothers, both Regina students, Sept. 25 in connection with the threats that were called into the school on Aug. 20 and again on Sept. 19.

Both teens face two counts each of first-degree harassment, an aggravated misdemeanor. They were released from the Linn County Juvenile Detention Center within days of their arrests. The Regina Board of Education met privately to discuss taking further action against the students, who were both listed as sophomores.

The board's decision has not been made public.

Police said they believe a third suspect was involved in the threats, although that person has no affiliation with Regina. Iowa City police Sgt. Denise Brotherton said officers know the identity of the third suspect, but that person lives on the East Coast and has not been apprehended.

The first bomb threat was called into the school, 2150 Rochester Ave., at 8:56 a.m. Aug. 20. The caller said a bomb had been placed in the school, police said, prompting school officials to evacuate the building, take students to a safe place and cancel classes for the day.

Iowa City police, the UI Police Department's K-9 division and the Johnson County Bomb Squad searched the school but didn't find any suspicious devices or packages.

On Sept. 19 at 12:14 p.m., a second threat came into Regina. This time, the caller indicated there was not an explosive in the school but that the caller would come into the school with an explosive device on his body if the school didn't provide money, police said.

Again, no suspicious packages or devices were found.

The threats forced the school to cancel classes on two days, and the school incurred monetary losses in the form of payroll expenses and operational costs.

Featured Videos