Six People Escape Morning Fire in Cedar Rapids
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Six people escaped a fire this morning in northeast Cedar Rapids. 38-year-old Robin Bailey and 37-year-old Ted Dunkel, along with 4 children, evacuated the home and called 911 when they noticed smoke coming through their first floor vents.
The Cedar Rapids Fire Department arrived at about 7:52 a.m. and entered the home at 218 18th St NE. Fire crews found the basement filled with smoke and the electric distribution panel on fire. They were able to hold the fire in check until an Alliant Energy employee shut off the electricity to the home at the meter allowing firefighters to extinguish the flame.
There were no injuries to the six people that were evacuated or firefighters. The Red Cross and the Salvation Army will be assisting them.
The cause of the fire was malfunctioning electrical equipment and was determined to be accidental in nature. The extent of the fire damage was to the electrical panel, there was smoke damage in the basement, first and second floors of the home and some siding was removed.
What's On KCRG