Severe Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Winter Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Current Alerts

Current Alerts Click to learn more

X Close

Click Here for our Friday Night Lights live stream and game chat

Swipe left and right to view more scores

Scores refresh every five minutes. View more scores

Two Officers Shot Following Bank Robbery, Suspects in Custody

  • Video
  • Photo
Video player is loading
FREDERIKA, Iowa - Two men suspected of robbing a bank and shooting two law enforcement officers during an hourlong chase were apprehended just north of Frederika shortly before 7 p.m. Tuesday, according to Iowa State Patrol spokesman Bob Conrad.

"They were arrested without incident, no shots fired. That's a good outcome compared with the way things looked earlier today," Conrad said.

The men, whose names won't be released until Wednesday, were apprehended when they tried to crawl through a perimeter about three-fourths mile north of town on County Road D5C, he said. "It was good police work on the part of some Waterloo police officers who heard something and investigated," Conrad said.

More than 50 officers participated in the manhunt that began early Tuesday afternoon following the robbery of the Maynard Savings Bank at 11:13 a.m.

After shooting a State Patrol officer and the Sumner police chief, the white male suspects abandoned their vehicle at a quarry west of here and disappeared into a wooded area, according to Jessica Lown, a spokeswoman for the Iowa Department of Public Safety.

The wounded officers are Sumner Police Chief Dennis Cain and Mark Domino, a state trooper stationed at Mason City.

Conrad said Cain is in stable but critical condition following surgery for wounds to his neck, thumb and hand. "His wounds are no longer considered life threatening," Conrad said while announcing the arrests at a Tuesday evening press conference.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Chief Cain and his family. That's all I can tell you," said Sumner Mayor Gary Walke.

Domino, a 30 year veteran of the State Patrol, was treated for a through-and-through wound to his right bicep and released, Conrad said.

Lown said a 2-mile-square perimeter had been established west of town, and officers from multiple agencies, including the FBI and the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, participated in the search. Before dark, search officers had eliminated all potential hiding areas west of the Wapsipinicon River.

Two Iowa State Patrol tactical teams cleared buildings and other potential hideouts within the search area, according to Conrad. Just before sundown a helicopter from the Minnesota State Patrol joined the search.

Conrad said the search team had enough observers to prevent the suspects from getting through the perimeter unseen. Officers both on the ground and in aircraft had night vision equipment, he said. Two airplanes, one with a heat-sensing unit, participated in the search.

Lown said no shots were fired at the bank and no one was injured.
Officers identified the vehicle and pursued it until 12:20 p.m., when the suspects abandoned it and fled on foot, she said.

People living within the search perimeter were advised to lock their doors and remove keys from vehicles.

Dena Gray-Fisher, a spokeswoman for the Iowa Department of Transportation, said DOT enforcement officers joined the pursuit and one of their vehicles was shot but none of the DOT officers was injured. The Iowa State Patrol had earlier stated that a DOT officer had been shot.

Several area school districts in several counties were on lockdown or heightened vigilance. According to the website of the New Hampton School District, in Chickasaw County, the sheriff's office ordered a precautionary lockdown but there was no immediate danger in the district.

More information is expected to be released on Wednesday.

Updates As The Story Unfolded

Featured Videos