Severe Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Winter Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Current Alerts

Current Alerts Click to learn more

X Close

Click Here for our Friday Night Lights live stream and game chat

Swipe left and right to view more scores

Scores refresh every five minutes. View more scores

Neighbor Puts Out Kitchen Fire at Hiawatha Apartment Complex

-->
  • Photo
HIAWATHA, Iowa - One Hiawatha resident was displaced, another suffered minor injuries after a kitchen fire at an apartment complex Tuesday night, authorities said.

Officials responded to the report of a kitchen fire at Camelot Apartments, 200 Tucker Street, at 10:12 p.m. Upon arrival, firefighters discovered the fire had already been extinguished. Hiawatha Fire Chief Mike Nesslage said a neighbor used a fire extinguisher to put out the blaze on a stove in an apartment. The neighbor who extinguished the fire suffered minor injuries, such as cuts on the hands, but was treated at the scene, Nesslage said.

Several residents of the apartment complex remained outside for a short time as officials investigated the incident.

The small fire was contained to the single apartment and did not spread to nearby units in the complex. Only the tenant was displaced for the night, others were able to return to their apartments, officials said.