Mold Bad For Your Home -- And Your Health

By Heather Hubbs, Reporter

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa-- Water damage is one of the most common insurance claims homeowners make. It can be caused by a variety of things, such as a leaky roof, toilet overflowing, or a pipe freezing and bursting. According to Allstate Insurance, the average water damage claim costs $6,500.

If left untreated for too long, water damage can lead to mold, which can be bad for your home and your health.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, mold impacts everyone differently. Some people have an allergic type reaction with watery eyes, scratchy throat and skin irritation, while others have a more severe reaction like a fever and shortness of breath.

Typically within days of water damage, mold will start growing, and within a week or two it becomes visible. But, depending on where the mold is growing, you may not always realize it's there.

"In some cases you will see the mold, and it's usually green or black, and sometimes orange, growth on the wall," said Scott Loggins, Owner or Air Management. "A lot of times you won't see mold because it's under carpets and behind walls."

If you think mold could be hiding in your home, a mold testing professional like Air Management in Cedar Rapids can come in, test the air in your home, send the sample to a lab, and tell you just how concentrated mold levels are and if something needs to be done about it. If mold is left untreated, it will only continue to grow into a bigger problem, officials say.
facebook twitter email alerts you tube hooplanow