Man Says He's Only 'Singed' After Home Explosion in Amana
By Dave Franzman, Reporter
MIDDLE AMANA - A passerby noticed flames coming from a garage at a home in Amana Thursday morning and notified the owner to get out.
Linda McDowell, 62, of Middle Amana, said she was driving with her grandchild through the neighborhood near a school in Middle Amana when she saw the fire at 2812 G Street in Amana.
The home owner, David Ramsey, 73, said he was in the living room when McDowell came pounding on this door. Ramsey said he ran out to the garage to investigate and an explosion blew him backwards. Ramsey told TV9 he was singed but otherwise uninjured.
The fire then spread to the rest of the home, which is a total loss.
Ramsey speculated that the fire may have started in the area of the garage where he stored gasoline and some lawn mowers but that was just a guess on his part. Neighbors told TV9 that they heard two blasts.
Ramsey thinks Wednesday's heat might have been to blame.
"I think it was just the tremendous heat yesterday," Ramsey said. "The garage always gets hot. Something probably just let loose."
Ramsey told TV9 he sustained an injury while serving in Vietnam that damaged his hearing, so he didn't hear the initial explosion. He said he was grateful that someone saw the fire and warned him.
Ramsey's wife was at work at the time. The family lost two pets in the blaze, a dog and a bird.
Amana Colonies Convention & Visitors Bureau will be accepting donations for the Ramsey Family. Monetary gifts have been requested by the family as they have lost everything. Any donations can be brought to the Amana Colonies CVB located at 622 46th Avenue, Amana. Our hours are Monday-Thursday 9-5, Friday-Saturday 9-6 and Sunday 10-5.
What's On KCRG