Firefighters Respond to Steamy Call at Cedar Rapids School

By Jill Kasparie, Reporter

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Firefighters found a steamy scene at a Cedar Rapids elementary school Monday morning.

At around 7:00 a.m. steam started pouring out of the building of Garfield Elementary School at 1201 Maplewood Drive Northeast. According to firefighters on the scene, steam also filled the basement. The incident happened before any children arrived for classes.

Captain Frank Davis said the boiler malfunctioned when a maintenance worker turned it on for one of the first times this season. Firefighters said the basement was like a sauna when they went in; they couldn't see much of anything in front of them. The crew said, luckily, the boiler had a red warning light that helped them turn off the outpouring of steam. Crews also ventilate the building.

Cpt. Davis said it wouldn't disrupt the school day and didn't cause any damage.
facebook twitter email alerts you tube hooplanow