Firefighters Respond to Steamy Call at Cedar Rapids School

By Jill Kasparie, Reporter

Tools

By Belinda Yeung

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Firefighters found a steamy scene at a Cedar Rapids elementary school Monday morning.

At around 7:00 a.m. steam started pouring out of the building of Garfield Elementary School at 1201 Maplewood Drive Northeast. According to firefighters on the scene, steam also filled the basement. The incident happened before any children arrived for classes.

Captain Frank Davis said the boiler malfunctioned when a maintenance worker turned it on for one of the first times this season. Firefighters said the basement was like a sauna when they went in; they couldn't see much of anything in front of them. The crew said, luckily, the boiler had a red warning light that helped them turn off the outpouring of steam. Crews also ventilate the building.

Cpt. Davis said it wouldn't disrupt the school day and didn't cause any damage.

Conversation Guidelines

Be Kind

Don't use abusive, offensive, threatening, racist, vulgar or sexually-oriented language.
Don't attack someone personally. Keep it civil and be responsible.

Share Knowledge

Be truthful. Share what you know and what you are passionate about.
What more do you want to learn? Keep it simple.

Stay focused

Promote lively and healthy debate. Stay on topic. Ask questions and give feedback on the story's topic.

Report Trouble

Help us maintain a quality comment section by reporting comments that are offensive. If you see a comment that is offensive, or you feel violates our guidelines, simply click on the "x" to the far right of the comment to report it.


read the full guidelines here »

Commenting will be disabled on stories dealing with the following subject matter: Crime, sexual abuse, property fires, automobile accidents, Amber Alerts, Operation Quickfinds and suicides.

facebook twitter rss mobile google plus
email alerts you tube hooplanow pinterest instagram

What's On KCRG