Firefighters Quickly Contain Coggon Apartment Fire
COGGON, Iowa - The Coggon Fire Department responded to a reported fire at the apartments at 620 3rd Avenue E at 1:19 a.m. Thursday. When crews arrived, they found moderate smoke coming from Apartment 4.
Officials were able to contain the fire to the bedroom in the apartment. One woman, Heather Davies, and three children living in the apartment all got out safely. Officials were able to safely evacuate the residents of three other apartments in the building.
One person living in the complex was transported by ambulance to Mercy Medical Center in Cedar Rapids. Fire officials say this was for a health condition not related to the fire.
Crews say the fire sparked from materials that were placed against an electric baseboard heater in the bedroom. The apartment did have working smoke alarms. Crews from Prairieburg, the Linn County Sheriff's Office and Regional Ambulance from Manchester assisted the Coggon Fire Department.