Spark from Tool Ignited Large Garage Fire in Cedar Rapids
By Jeff Raasch, Reporter
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- Fire quickly engulfed a southwest Cedar Rapids garage Wednesday evening and damaged three other structures nearby, officials said.
Within about five minutes after the fire was reported, around 7 p.m., the roof of the two-stall garage at 220 16th Ave. SW had already collapsed, firefighters said. The first crew to arrive used water from its fire engine to keep the fire from spreading to a garage and two house nearby, before starting a defensive attack on the garage where the fire originated.
No one was hurt in the blaze, officials said.
The garage was a total loss. Exterior damage, including melted siding, was reported on some of the surrounding structures.
Fire Department spokesman Greg Buelow said people were working on a vehicle inside the garage when a spark from a drill ignited an open fuel drum.
The owner of the garage was listed as Jeff LaCoursiere, officials said.