Spark from Tool Ignited Large Garage Fire in Cedar Rapids

By Jeff Raasch, Reporter

Tools

By KCRG Intern

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- Fire quickly engulfed a southwest Cedar Rapids garage Wednesday evening and damaged three other structures nearby, officials said.

Within about five minutes after the fire was reported, around 7 p.m., the roof of the two-stall garage at 220 16th Ave. SW had already collapsed, firefighters said. The first crew to arrive used water from its fire engine to keep the fire from spreading to a garage and two house nearby, before starting a defensive attack on the garage where the fire originated.

No one was hurt in the blaze, officials said.

The garage was a total loss. Exterior damage, including melted siding, was reported on some of the surrounding structures.

Fire Department spokesman Greg Buelow said people were working on a vehicle inside the garage when a spark from a drill ignited an open fuel drum.

The owner of the garage was listed as Jeff LaCoursiere, officials said.
facebook twitter rss mobile google plus
email alerts you tube hooplanow pinterest instagram

What's On KCRG