Fire Marshal: Sioux City Blaze Started in Kitchen

Tools

By Ben Hoppenworth

SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say two people found dead in their Sioux City home probably died of smoke inhalation.

The two were identified on Thursday as Susan and Steve Smid, who were 58. She was a music teacher for the Sioux City school district. He worked for the district's food services.

Their bodies were found inside their home on Thursday morning.

Sioux City Fire Marshal Mark Aesoph (AY'-suhp) says the fire started on top of a stove and later died out because of a lack of oxygen.

Firefighters found a smoke detector that was damaged by the fire, but it is unclear whether it was working.

Firefighters revived the couple's dog, which was found in the home.

Conversation Guidelines

Be Kind

Don't use abusive, offensive, threatening, racist, vulgar or sexually-oriented language.
Don't attack someone personally. Keep it civil and be responsible.

Share Knowledge

Be truthful. Share what you know and what you are passionate about.
What more do you want to learn? Keep it simple.

Stay focused

Promote lively and healthy debate. Stay on topic. Ask questions and give feedback on the story's topic.

Report Trouble

Help us maintain a quality comment section by reporting comments that are offensive. If you see a comment that is offensive, or you feel violates our guidelines, simply click on the "x" to the far right of the comment to report it.


read the full guidelines here »

Commenting will be disabled on stories dealing with the following subject matter: Crime, sexual abuse, property fires, automobile accidents, Amber Alerts, Operation Quickfinds and suicides.

facebook twitter rss mobile google plus
email alerts you tube hooplanow pinterest instagram

What's On KCRG