Severe Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Winter Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Current Alerts

Current Alerts Click to learn more

X Close

Live Scoreboard

Total Yards:
Passing Yards:
Rushing Yards:

Total Yards:
Passing Yards:
Rushing Yards:

Game Highlights

Scoreboard refreshes every five minutes
Click Here for our Friday Night Lights live stream and game chat

Swipe left and right to view more scores

Scores refresh every five minutes. View more scores

Family Holds Protest Against Officer Involved In Shooting Returning to Work

  • Video
Video player is loading
WATERLOO, Iowa - A Waterloo Police Officer who shot and killed a Waterloo man in November is now back at work and friends and family of the victim are outraged.

Police said Officer Kyle Law shot and killed 22-year-old Derrick Ambrose. They had been called to New World Lounge II in the 500 block of Riehl Street on November 18 around 1:45 a.m. for an emergency call.

When they arrived Ambrose was allegedly pointing a gun at a group of people. Police told him to drop his weapon, but Ambrose ran away.
At some point in the chase, Ambrose jumped out from behind a tree, and Officer Law shot at him.

Those who knew Derrick Ambrose said he may not have been a model citizen but he didn't deserve to be shot. They tell a very different version, than police investigators, of what happened the night he was killed

"My cousin was shot from the back he couldn't have been no harm to no officer. They're stating he had a gun, none of that occurred," Larisha Tot, Ambrose's cousin, said.

Supporters of Ambrose took to the streets of Waterloo Friday night, and marched nearly a mile straight to the Waterloo Police Department, in protest that the officer who shot Ambrose is back at work.

"Him behind bars, life, his badge taken away, him not out here like he's innocent," Tot said.

The Waterloo Police Department did place Law on administrative leave immediately following the shooting.

"We gave him a couple weeks away. Obviously this was a traumatic experience for him," Captain Tim Pillack with the Waterloo Police Department said.

Captain Pillack said now that Law is back he will be placed on administrative duty, not on patrol, until the DCI investigation is complete.

"This is our normal procedure when we have an officer involved shooting, and our procedures are no different than any other department in Iowa or across the country for that matter," said Pillack.

Ambrose's family just wants to ensure this doesn't get swept under the rug and that their voices are heard . TV9 tried contacting the Department of Criminal Investigations to find out when they expect this investigation to wrap up but did not hear back.

Captain Pillack said once the report is finished, it will go to the County Attorney who will decide Officer Law's fate. Until then, he will remain on administrative duty.

Featured Videos