Electrical Fire Delays School Day Start at Linn-Mar High School

MARION, Iowa - The extreme cold caused some some schools to delay the start of classes today, but Linn Mar High School had a delay for a different reason -- a small fire.

According to Capt. William Houser of the Marion fire department, just before 8:00 Wednesday morning school staff reported smoke in the building. Firefighters found the source to be a sump pump in an elevator shaft, he said.

"Equipment fails from time to time, it's just one of those things that happens. Probably an older pump, switch failure, something. As far as the fire spreading, there wasn't really any place for it to go, just a concrete pit. So the biggest concern was probably just the smoke getting into certain areas of the building," Houser said.

Damage was contained to the elevator shaft.

Houser praised Linn-Mar staff for getting everyone out of the building quickly when the smoke alarms sounded.

Students were sent to the learning resource center until they could return to the high school.

No one was injured.
facebook twitter email alerts you tube hooplanow

 close  don't show again