Severe Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Winter Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Current Alerts

Current Alerts Click to learn more

X Close

Click Here for our Friday Night Lights live stream and game chat

Swipe left and right to view more scores

Scores refresh every five minutes. View more scores

Early Morning Chase Ends with Truck in Creek

  • Video
  • Photo
Video player is loading
BENTON COUNTY, Iowa - Officials said a Cedar Rapids man lead police on a high speed chase early Friday morning, and didn't stop after crashing into a ditch, spinning out of control and striking a traffic sign.

Around 2:47 a.m., police observed a blue truck driven by 40-year-old Bradley Szakacs, at a high rate of speed near Westdale Drive and Wilson Avenue SW. The truck turned westbound on 22nd Avenue SW, then southbound on Wiley Blvd SW and failed to stop at the stop sign, authorities said.

Officials said in the 2500 block of Wiley Blvd, the truck was going 80 mph in a 35 mph zone. At the intersection of Williams and Wiley Blvd SW, police said Szakacs failed to stop at the red flashing lights and went westbound on Williams Blvd SW.

Szakacs continued westbound onto Highway 30 where he left the roadway into the ditch, and then back onto the roadway. Authorities said he continued to lose control, spun 360 degrees and began to slow in a backwards directions before striking a yield sign and going into a ditch.

The truck climbed back onto the roadway and continued westbound on Highway 30. Police said as the truck approached Stoney Point Road, it was reaching speeds around 83 mph in a 65 mph zone. As the truck continued westbound, authorities said "the speeds did slow down, but resumed to the high speeds."

With the assistance of the Benton County Sheriff's Office, stop sticks were deployed and were effective, officials said. After hitting the stop sticks, police said Szakacs lost control of the truck and went into a ditch and into a creek where it came to a stop.

Officials said the incident ended around the Newhall exit, around 15 miles away from where authorities first observed the truck. Szakacs was taken to a local hospital, but police said he was treated for non-life threatening injuries.

The incident remains under investigation.

Featured Videos