Severe Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Winter Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Current Alerts

Current Alerts Click to learn more

X Close

Live Scoreboard

Total Yards:
Passing Yards:
Rushing Yards:

Total Yards:
Passing Yards:
Rushing Yards:

Game Highlights

Scoreboard refreshes every five minutes
Click Here for our Friday Night Lights live stream and game chat

Swipe left and right to view more scores

Scores refresh every five minutes. View more scores

Man Hospitalized After Being Struck By Truck in Hiawatha

  • Video
  • Photo
Video player is loading
HIAWATHA, Iowa - A man has been taken to a local hospital for "severe" injuries after being hit by a delivery truck Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Officials responded around 8:20 a.m. to a motor vehicle accident involving a truck and pedestrian just north of the Blairs Ferry Road and Center Point Road intersection. Authorities said Charles Slaughter, 63, of Hiawatha was struck by the truck on Center Point Road.

"He was in travel portion of the roadway at the time of the collision," Hiawatha Police Chief Dennis Marks said.

Medical personnel on scene attempted CPR on Slaughter, who was later taken to a nearby hospital for what officials say were "severe" and "life-threatening" injuries. Marks said Slaughter was still hospitalized as of 2 p.m. Wednesday.

The vehicle involved in the incident was a delivery truck from Linn Star Transfer that typically delivers mail from larger post offices, such as Cedar Rapids, to smaller post offices like those in Shellsburg and Palo. Linn Star Transfer safety director Larold Witt said he was not sure where this specific truck was heading, but that the driver has been with the company for over four years and has an excellent driving record.

Witt said the truck driver told him he thought he saw the pedestrian (Slaughter) walking on the sidewalk, and next thing he knew he ended up in front of the truck.

Traffic in the northbound lanes of Center Point Road entering Hiawatha were blocked for about three hours as police investigated, but the intersection has now reopened.

The incident remains under investigation, but no charges are pending at this time.

Featured Videos