Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather
Computer Glitch Leads To Early Firing Of Most Of Coralville's Fireworks
By Mark Carlson, Reporter
CORALVILLE, Iowa -- Fire officials here say most of last night's fireworks display was accidentally set off in the first minute.
A computer glitch caused 70 to 75 percent of the display to go off at the beginning of the show, fire prevention officer Orey Schwitzer said.
"It was kind of reverse this year," said City Administrator Kelly Hayworth. The show was still enjoyable, it just "started with a bang," Hayworth said.
Fire officials say they're looking into the computer glitch to ensure it doesn't happen again next year.
"I know this has happened (in other places before)," Schwitzer said.
No one was injured during the explosion of fireworks. Schwitzer was one of only two firefighters allowed inside a 300-foot perimeter.
During the show, the Fire Department was dispatched to a nearby chemical leak, which was unrelated to the malfunction.