Severe Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Winter Weather Alert Follow Us On Twitter #KCRGWX

Current Alerts

Current Alerts Click to learn more

X Close

Click Here for our Friday Night Lights live stream and game chat

Swipe left and right to view more scores

Scores refresh every five minutes. View more scores

Cedar Rapids Neighbors Report House Fire, Save Family Dog

  • Video
Video player is loading
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Several neighbors reported a house fire at 195 Miller Avenue SW in Cedar Rapids at 1:38 p.m. Sunday.

Neighbors could see flames coming from the back side of the one-story residential structure so they knocked on the doors and windows to alert anyone inside. After determining that no one was home and hearing a barking dog still trapped inside the structure, one of the neighbors opened a door to let the dog out.

Firefighters arrived on scene and found flames coming from the rear of the residence. Due to the extent of the damage and the fact that utilities were disconnected, the family of five have been displaced by the fire. The owners of the residence are Jerry Spores, age 36, and Melissa Spores, age 32. They have three children ranging in age from 6 to 17 years. The family is staying with relatives until repairs can be made.

There were no injuries reported. The family was gone at the time of the fire. When the family returned, they confirmed that their dog was in good condition.

The cause of the fire has been determined to have originated in a Yardy that was along the back side of the residence. Ashes from a recreational fire the previous evening had been placed in the Yardy and smoldered before igniting other yard waste materials in the container.

Featured Videos